Monday, June 18, 2007

The United States Open--Tiger Watchinig


Thanks to my dad buying week passes, I was able to attend the first three days of the U.S. Open at Oakmont 10 minutes from our house. Quite the sporting event. Everyone running around in the grass, few trees and shade in sight, but plenty of sand and high grass. I'm no more than a casual golf fan, and I'd never been to an event as a spectator, but the atmosphere there was incredible. As a sports fan, there was just a vibe you could feel. Like Tiger coming down 10 on Thursday morning (more on him later). The middle-aged guys in the 17th fairway grandstand (top row seats, $100! was their catch phrase) Saturday searching for hot girls. It was an older crowd, and females were not exempt from that.

We got to the first tee at about 7:45 Thursday morning. The grandstand and surrounding area were already filled for Tiger teeing off at 8:06, but the place to be was down the fairway near the bunkers on the left. Shade, and the destination of most players' balls. Tiger put his drive into one of those bunkers, and the destruction was on. After the group of Retief Goosen, Luke Donald and eventual winner Angel Cabrera sent their second shots to the green, we headed down that way, hung by the green for a bit then went into the 10th grandstand, a spot where you could see all of 10 with the binoculars, and some of 9. Ricky Barnes hit a nice putt for par, one of his few highlights on the way to a +15, 5 shots off the cut. Tiger failed to impress again in person. His drive was less than 5 feet from being out-of-bounds! The disastrous shot led to one of four bogeys on the day, two of which I'd seen. 10 was a tough hole (2nd hardest of the tournament), and hanging with it was daunting. Seeing from eight rows up (actually a great place to see all of the green) and how softly everyone hit their putts compared to how quickly they rolled was unbelievable. Cabrera had another strong drive, better than the more famous Donald and the Goose, but still managed only a bogey. He did notch a 69, good for second at the end of the day.



Again, we left the 10th shortly after that group. We wandered around, getting stuck between 10 and 11 for a little, finally arriving in the back right of the 18th green (from the fairway) right near the rail. We nabbed the spots when the first group, starring Ken Duke, arrived at the green and waited out the big cat. The Tiger Trailers (thanks, Dad) didn't really arrive until a hole or two before he finally arrived for the end of his round and celebrated my presence with an errant drive...again. I wasn't in any position to see it this time though, one row back at ground level. But, finally, Tiger had a good shot at par, and sunk it for a 71, a near draw with dangerous Oakmont.

Notes:

I can understand wanting to get drunk at an event like this, even so early in the morning. But when a beer is $5? It's probably just because I'm a college student, but this seems like an outrage. I'll probably pregame in my car before the game til I'm 50. I'll drive there sober, of course.
Binoculars are required material at an event like this. Without them, you'd be better off at home.
Very seamless all the way around. But where are all the people from Oakmont?
I found my new favorite British saying, courtesy the presumed (by me) dad of Nick Dougherty's caddie. Upon finishing his round with a 68 that tied for third-best of the weekend, this man said, in the British accent, "Super-real job there, Nick." Not much in print, but next time I see you I'll give you the impersonation. Eventually I'll find someone British, have them say it, and put it up here.
Anyone remember watching Tiger putt on 18? From our up-close view of the green, with Tiger and Geoff Ogilvy viewing their putts, my brother yelled, "Tiger!" He received plently of flak from the crowd around us (me included), but my aunt claims she heard someone yell Woods' name there at 18. Can anyone refute or support this?
In addition to that disturbance, a member of the Open crew decided to give directions from the catwalk of the grandstand to people below him, talking so loudly he was easily audible from the green.

Hopefully, my round 2 recap will come tomorrow.

No comments: